Re: firebird getting some press

From: "Greg Sabino Mullane" <greg(at)turnstep(dot)com>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: firebird getting some press
Date: 2004-02-10 04:07:41
Lists: pgsql-advocacy
(By the way, Mozilla has finally dropped the Firebird name. As
Tom Lane once said, at lease that's one problem we will never have
to worry about! :)
This one is just a testament to the um..fervor of the Firebird
folks. Some of them seem truly fanatical in the online discussion
forums I've seen. They know how to flood online polls as well. :)
Not a bad article overall, but with some serious concerns:
"Even though PostgreSQL offers a stored procedure language, there are
many different languages (Perl, Tcl, Python) in which one can write
the stored procedures. This variation could lead to some problems
when one developer leaves and other joins the project. Using a
standard stored procedure language, however, avoids this problem."
The article goes out of its way to compare and contrast against
whichever database product (MySQL, PostgreSQL, Sybase, etc.) makes
it sound the best at that moment.
Another gem:
"I have found the task of converting from Oracle or Sybase to MySQL
or PostgreSQL to be a bit daunting, as the nature of these databases
is quite different from the commercial offerings."
Does anyone have a clear explanation of their license? I know it is
GPL-flavored, but I don't recall if we ever nailed it down.
- --
PGP Key: 0x14964AC8 200402092306