Re: The naming question (Postgres vs PostgreSQL)

From: "Gabriele Bartolini" <gabriele(dot)bartolini(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Robert Bernier" <robert(dot)bernier5(at)sympatico(dot)ca>
Cc: "Alvaro Herrera" <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: The naming question (Postgres vs PostgreSQL)
Date: 2007-08-30 07:37:43
Lists: pgsql-advocacy
Hi guys,

   I have tried to follow the thread and I would like to play the devil's
advocate for a few minutes. Although I really like to use Postgres (which -
as Josh stated earlier - for latin countries is much easier to pronounce), I
want to raise a few issues that could possibly regard the Italian community
(but I guess could be shared by other communities as well).

   In particular:

1) we have recently organised the first PostgreSQL conference ever to be
held in Italy and ... people now know better what PostgreSQL is
2) we have prepared and published the first Italian flyer about PostgreSQL
(and not Postgres)
3) we have invested time and money in organising merchandising (some of
which is i18n-compliant too, such as t-shirts, notepads, eco-friendly
shoppers and pens) with PostgreSQL logo and title on such items

    It goes without saying that all this stuff won't be usable anymore if we
decide to change name in the short term. I would rather suggest to properly
plan a name switch and promote it and inform the community in the next
couple of years. Maybe something like: "From 2009 it will be Postgres
again".

   We must acknowledge that the community is not only people that develop
PostgreSQL or use it daily, but also companies and users around the world
that have based their products on PostgreSQL and ... I feel like we should
inform them properly and give them enough time to plan their strategies (if
any).

For instance, what about a company that uses PostgreSQL as their backend DB
and has prepared promotional stuff that states that: I guess it would be
more fair if at least we give this company the chance to change its flyers /
promotional info accordingly or at least plan it.

   Thank you.

Ciao,
Gabriele