Understanding ps -ef "command" column

From: "David Jaquay" <djaquay(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Understanding ps -ef "command" column
Date: 2008-02-22 16:18:22
Lists: pgsql-general

When I do a ps -ef, in the command column, I see:

postgres: postgres dbname 10.170.1.60(57413) idle

I get all of this, except the "57413". What does this mean, and more
importantly, how can I tie that number back to a connection that I've
acquired via JDBC?

In my case, I've got a connection that's hanging around after my code should
have closed it, which means almost certainly that I've got problems in my
code, but I'd love to be able to get that "57413" number from my jdbc object
and write it to my logs to troubleshoot this. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Dave