MMAP Buffers

From: Radosław Smogura <rsmogura(at)softperience(dot)eu>
To: PG Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: MMAP Buffers
Date: 2011-04-15 10:32:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers
 Hello,

 If I may, I want to share some concept to use mmap in PG. It's far, far
 away from perfect, but it's keeps WAL before data. As well I crated
 table, with index, inserted few values, and I done vacuum full on this
 table. Db inits welcome from orginal sources.

 Performance of read (if backend is loaded) is really good, query time
 goes down from 450ms to about 410ms. Update may be slower - but work is
 in progress (I will start with write, as I went to point when simple
 updates may be performed). Even that I didn't covered all aspects off
 updating, it's simple to do it, just to call PreopareBufferToUpdate
 before modifing buffer, ofc some ideas of increasing this are still in
 my head.

 Any comments, suggestions welcome.

 I didn't included this, as diff, because of ~150kb size (mainly
 configure scripts, which are included in SVC). Due to this, You may
 download it from
 http://softperience.eu/downloads/pg_mmap_20110415.diff.bz2 (Legal: Work
 under PostgreSQL BSD Lincense). Patch is just GIT diff, later I will try
 to grab some git.

 Regards and have a nice day,
 Radek.

 P.S. This problem about assert with signals, I wrote... I merged with
 last master, and rebuilded code. I think, I forgot to rebuild it after
 previous merge.