Re: PostgreSQL Tweaking

From: "renier" <renier(at)vvconsult(dot)co(dot)za>
To: "'Alastair Turner'" <bell(at)ctrlf5(dot)co(dot)za>
Cc: <jnbpug(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL Tweaking
Date: 2010-04-09 13:15:30
Lists: jnbpug

Ok, now we're looking at the specific issue - why does the local
loopback take forever?. A couple more questions:

- What address are you using to connect to the database host from
itself, does it perform the same for the other addresses?

- What is the execution time for the query and iterating through the
resultset from your scripting language - how does it differ between
machines?

>>I'm not sure I understand the questions properly, but I run the query on 'localhost' (or 127.0.0.1) in PGADmin

When running it from different computers on the network, new server being the host, I get between 46 and 52 seconds. The difference is fine considering network traffic will not have the same throughput every time.
Using our old desktop "server" as the host, running query from my notebook, 48sec, running the query from the new server, on the new server, 213sec. It appears there is something odd on the New server. Keep in mind it is a new machine, only delivered 2 weeks ago, so it’s a fresh install of windows too.

- Is this query really representative of what your application does with the db?