Postgres restart

From: S Arvind <arvindwill(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Postgres restart
Date: 2009-09-21 17:45:59
Lists: pgsql-admin

Recently due to some problem(not yet diagnosed) , our DB server Postgres is
getting very slow after few hours. We didnt changed any settings for 6
months , so we dont know y its happening suddenly in this week. Our data
folder is 118GB with 160 DBs. System is 2 Quad core with RAM 4GB. In last
two days when it was restarted its performance is good but gradually going
down. So few planned to restart the posgres process daily. Is it advisable
to restart server daily ? since daily we can have 30 mins downtime. Please
advise is it advisable or not?

-Arvind S
*
"Many of lifes failure are people who did not realize how close they were to
success when they gave up."
-Thomas Edison*