Re: checkpoint_timeout

From: Thomas F(dot)O'Connell <tfo(at)sitening(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "PgSQL General" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: checkpoint_timeout
Date: 2005-03-23 05:10:10
Lists: pgsql-general

Both the 7.4.x docs and the 8.0.x docs state:

"This option can only be set at server start or in the postgresql.conf
file."

Perhaps I've been misunderstanding the "or" clause? Does the "or"
clause refer to the fact that it can be sent as an option at server
start or changed with a HUP from postgresql.conf but not set per
connection? Somehow it's always escaped my attention that there were so
many options that distinguished between "server start" and "server
start or in postgresql.conf".

Regardless, having thought about it more, I understand why it would be
impossible to set per connection. I was thinking more about the utility
of having a knob that could be twisted in the circumstances of large
data loads than the reality of what that would mean from the point of
view of WAL and checkpoints.

-tfo

--
Thomas F. O'Connell