Re: Insertion to temp table deteriorating over time

From: "Rajesh Kumar Mallah" <mallah(dot)rajesh(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Steven Flatt" <steven(dot)flatt(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Insertion to temp table deteriorating over time
Date: 2006-12-13 17:14:10
Lists: pgsql-performance

On 12/13/06, Steven Flatt <steven(dot)flatt(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Our application is using Postgres 7.4 and I'd like to understand the root
> cause of this problem:
>
> To speed up overall insert time, our application will write thousands of
> rows, one by one, into a temp table

1. how frequently are you commiting the transaction ?
if you commit less frequetly it will be faster.

2. If you use COPY instead of INSERT it will be faster.
using COPY is easy with DBD::Pg (perl). In versions
8.x i think there has been major speed improvements
in COPY.

I do not know the root cause of slowdown though.

Regds
mallah.