Re: postgres and persistant connections (using Apache::DBI)

From: "Rajesh Kumar Mallah" <mallah(dot)rajesh(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Salem Berhanu" <salemb4(at)hotmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: postgres and persistant connections (using Apache::DBI)
Date: 2006-03-29 16:02:47
Lists: pgsql-admin

On 3/29/06, Salem Berhanu <salemb4(at)hotmail(dot)com> wrote:
> I am trying to set up a persistent connection to a handful of postgres dbs
> at startup using Apache::DBI (also using mod_perl)
> Here is what I am doing but I am not sure how to check if it's working
> right.
>
> in httpd.conf I have
> PerlRequire startup.pl
>
> in startup.pl I load all the necessary perl modules and also include the
> lines
>
> use Apache::DBI;
> Apache::DBI->connect_on_init( host, login, password);
>
> This doesn't seem to make any difference. I was expecting to see database
> connections when I restarted apache and that all queries would get handled
> by these connections. Is this a wrong assumption? What is the expectation
> and what would be a good test when setting up persistent connections to a
> postgres db?

We use DBI connection pooling with postgres in mod_perl environment
and it works fine. We however do not use connect_on_init as Apache::DBI
docs say that all DBI->connect() anyway gets intercepted transparently.

please take care that

1. Make sure Apache::DBI is loaded before any module that issues a DB connect.
you can even load Apache::DBI from httpd.conf by
PerlRequire Apache::DBI

2. You can know if Apache::DBI is effective or not by installing Apache::Status
,load Apache::Status before Apache::DBI in that case and add a Location
section in the httpd.conf like:

--------------- httpd.conf---------------------
PerlModule Apache::Status
PerlModule Apache::DBI

<Location /perl-status>
SetHandler perl-script
PerlHandler Apache::Status
</Location>
point your browser to http://your_mod_perl_server/perl-status
and check the section about database conenctions.

i am not sure if this info answers your question but
i am describing something that works for me.

regds
Rajesh Kumar Mallah.