Re: Drupal and PostgreSQL - performance issues?

From: "Daniel Verite" <daniel(at)manitou-mail(dot)org>
To: "Mikkel =?ISO-8859-15?Q?H=F8gh?=" <mikkel(at)hoegh(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Drupal and PostgreSQL - performance issues?
Date: 2008-10-14 18:23:47
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-performance

Mikkel Høgh wrote:

> In any case, if anyone has any tips, input, etc. on how best to
> configure PostgreSQL for Drupal, or can find a way to poke holes in
my
> analysis, I would love to hear your insights :)

I'm a recent Drupal user with postgres.
What I've noticed on drupal-6.4 with Ubuntu 8.04 is that the default
postgresql.conf has:
ssl=true
and since drupal doesn't allow connecting to pgsql with unix socket
paths [1], what you get by default is probably TCP + SSL encryption.
A crude test that just connects and disconnect to a local pg server
appears to me to be 18 times faster when SSL is off.
So you might want to check if setting ssl to false makes a difference
for your test.

[1] A patch has been posted here: http://drupal.org/node/26836 , but it
seems to have gotten nowhere. The comments about pg_connect() are
depressingly lame, apparently nobody had a clue how unix socket files
should be specified, including the contributor of the patch!

Best regards,
--
Daniel
PostgreSQL-powered mail user agent and storage: