Re: Charset problem on WHERE clause

From: smota <samuelmota(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Charset problem on WHERE clause
Date: 2004-07-26 21:30:33
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Hi,

Thanks Kris for your fast response .... I've recreated the database
using LATIN1 and everything is working just fine.

> I wonder if it's worth supporting the charSet parameter even for >= 7.3:
> set client_encoding explicitly to SQL_ASCII (which I believe means "no
> translation") and do the translation to Unicode on the JVM side using
> whatever charset the user provided. I think most of the encoding details
> are now isolated from the rest of the protocol logic, so it wouldn't be
> a very invasive change.

I really don't see this as a good idea :O ....

With the LATIN1 charset I didn't use Java conversion (with new
String(rs.getBytes(1)....etc. etc.) my code was cleaner and easier,
so, It was a good thing make me use the correctly encoded database.

:)

Thanks