Re: Proposal of PITR performance improvement for 8.4.

From: "Koichi Suzuki" <koichi(dot)szk(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Simon Riggs" <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: "Gregory Stark" <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, "Bruce Momjian" <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Proposal of PITR performance improvement for 8.4.
Date: 2008-10-30 00:46:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I'm not sure if blocks reffered from all WAL records in single WAL
segment can fit kernel cache. This is why current pg_readahead
returns the last LSN and require starting LSN. So far, with FPW, it
seems that we can prefetch all the pages in a WAL segment. So it
will be okay for archive log compressed with pg_compresslog. I'll
test if it's okay in the case full_page_writes=off.

Anyway, I'd like to keep my proposal for 8.4 and continue the test and
evaluation to report to the mailing list.

I'll also change the whole code to run in the core.

-------
Koichi Suzuki

--
------