Postmaster start up problems (can't create lock file )

From: "Jasbinder Singh Bali" <jsbali(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Novice Postgresql-list" <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Postmaster start up problems (can't create lock file )
Date: 2007-08-13 16:50:20
Lists: pgsql-novice

I'm trying to start my postgres server and it gives me the following errror

FATAL: could not create lock file "/var/run/postgresql/.s.PGSQL.5432.lock":
Permission denied

Now obviously to touch the file that the error message is talking about, one
needs root permission that the user account under which my postmaster is
runnnig doesn't have.

Can anyone tell me the fix.

Thanks