Re: Bus error in postgres 8.3

From: "Filip Svendsen" <fs(at)basepointmedia(dot)com>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Peter Koczan" <pjkoczan(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Bus error in postgres 8.3
Date: 2008-05-01 08:22:17
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 8:01 AM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> "Peter Koczan" <pjkoczan(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> > I'm going to try to force a crash on my test server to see if I can
> > find out anything more. Does anyone know how to get useful debugging
> > info at the time of the crash? I don't think I have things set to dump
> > core anywhere, but that and/or stack traces would be nice (especially
> > for child processes).
>
> Make sure the postmaster is started under ulimit -c unlimited.
> On a depressingly large fraction of modern platforms, daemons are
> started with ulimit -c 0 by default :-(. Try putting "ulimit -c unlimited"
> into your PG init script and restarting.
>
> regards, tom lane

Do you think a too low limit on user processes could be causing the problem?

We have had similar crashes (server process terminated with Bus
Error). This is running 8.2.5 on OS X (Tiger, intel), with about
130-140 connections, but the process count limit is 1000. Any reason
why the process limit should be vastly higher than the number of
connections?

--
Venlig Hilsen / Kind Regards

Filip Svendsen