== Postgres Weekly News - 29 giugno 2008 ==

From: rotellaro(at)gmail(dot)com
To: pgsql-it-generale <pgsql-it-generale(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: == Postgres Weekly News - 29 giugno 2008 ==
Date: 2008-06-30 15:14:29
Lists: pgsql-it-generale
La commit fest di luglio sta per partire.

== Postgres News prodotti ==

Rilasciato pgsnap 0.4.
http://pgsnap.projects.postgresql.org/

Rilasciato PL/Proxy 2.0.6.
http://pgfoundry.org/projects/plproxy/

Rilasciato pyreplica 1.0.
http://pgfoundry.org/projects/pyreplica/

== Offerte di lavoro legate a PostgreSQL per il mese di Giugno ==

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-jobs/2008-06/threads.php

== PostgreSQL news locali ==

Il pgDay di Portland ci sarà il 20 luglio. Poco prima di OSCON.
http://pugs.postgresql.org/node/400

Il PGCon Brasile 2008 ci sara' il 26 e 27 settembre 2008 a Unicamp, Campinas.
http://pgcon.postgresql.org.br/index.en.html

Il PGDay.IT 2008 ci sarà il 17 e 18 ottobre a Prato.
http://www.pgday.org/it/

== News su PostgreSQL ==

Planet PostgreSQL: http://www.planetpostgresql.org/

General Bits, archivi e nuovi articoli occasionali:
http://www.varlena.com/GeneralBits/

PostgreSQL Weekly News è stato spedito questa settimana grazie a David Fetter.

Per segnalare news e annunci invia un email in inglese entro le ore 15,
fuso orario della costa orientale degli U.S.A, di domenica.

Per segnalazioni in inglese david(at)fetter(dot)org, per segnalazioni in
Tedesco pwn(at)pgug(dot)de, per segnalazioni in italiano pwn(at)itpug(dot)org

== Patch applicate ==
Tom Lane committed:

- Fix Gen_fmgrtab.sh to not rely on hard-wired knowledge of the column
 numbers in pg_proc.  Also make it not emit duplicate extern
 declarations, and make it a bit more bulletproof in some other small
 ways.  Likewise fix the equally hard-wired, and utterly
 undocumented, knowledge in the MSVC build scripts.  For testing
 purposes and perhaps other uses in future, pull out that portion of
 the MSVC scripts into a standalone perl script equivalent to
 Gen_fmgrtab.sh, and make it generate actually identical output,
 rather than just more-or-less-the-same output.  Motivated by looking
 at Pavel's variadic function patch.  Whether or not that gets
 accepted, we can be sure that pg_proc's column set will change again
 in the future; it's time to not have to deal with this gotcha.

- Oops, make the MSVC build put fmgroids.h where it needs to be.  Per
 buildfarm results.

- Reduce the alignment requirement of type "name" from int to char,
 and arrange to suppress zero-padding of "name" entries in indexes.
 The alignment change is unlikely to save any space, but it is really
 needed anyway to make the world safe for our widespread practice of
 passing plain old C strings to functions that are declared as taking
 Name.  In the previous coding, the C compiler was entitled to assume
 that a Name pointer was word-aligned; but we were failing to
 guarantee that.  I think the reason we'd not seen failures is that
 usually the only thing that gets done with such a pointer is
 strcmp(), which is hard to optimize in a way that exploits
 word-alignment.  Still, some enterprising compiler guy will probably
 think of a way eventually, or we might change our code in a way that
 exposes more-obvious optimization opportunities.  The padding change
 is accomplished in one-liner fashion by declaring the "name" index
 opclasses to use storage type "cstring" in pg_opclass.h.  Normally
 btree and hash don't allow a nondefault storage type, because they
 don't have any provisions for converting the input datum to another
 type.  However, because name and cstring are effectively the same
 thing except for padding, no conversion is needed --- we only need
 index_form_tuple() to treat the datum as being cstring not name, and
 this is sufficient.  This seems to make for about a one-third
 reduction in the typical sizes of system catalog indexes that
 involve "name" columns, of which we have many.  These two changes
 are only weakly related, but the alignment change makes me feel
 safer that the padding change won't introduce problems, so I'm
 committing them together.

- Modify the recently-added probe for -Wl,--as-needed some more,
 because RHEL-4 vintage Linux is even more broken than we realized: a
 link to libreadline will succeed, and fail only at runtime.  It
 seems that an AC_TRY_RUN test is the only reliable way to check
 whether this is really safe.  Per report from Tatsuo Ishii.

- In pgsql/doc/src/sgml/plpgsql.sgml, clarify plpgsql documentation by
 not treating IF THEN ELSE IF ... as a truly distinct version of IF.
 Per suggestion from Marko Kreen.

- Improve planner's estimation of the size of an append relation:
 rather than taking the maximum of any child rel's width, we should
 weight the widths proportionally to the number of rows expected from
 each child.  In hindsight this is obviously correct because row
 width is really a proxy for the total physical size of the relation.
 Per discussion with Scott Carey (bug #4264).

- Consider a clause to be outerjoin_delayed if it references the
 nullable side of any lower outer join, even if it also references
 the non-nullable side and so could not get pushed below the outer
 join anyway.  We need this in case the clause is an OR clause: if it
 doesn't get marked outerjoin_delayed, create_or_index_quals() could
 pull an indexable restriction for the nullable side out of it,
 leading to wrong results as demonstrated by today's bug report from
 toruvinn.  (See added regression test case for an example.) In
 principle this has been wrong for quite a while.  In practice I
 don't think any branch before 8.3 can really show the failure,
 because create_or_index_quals() will only pull out indexable
 conditions, and before 8.3 those were always strict.  So though we
 might have improperly generated null-extended rows in the outer
 join, they'd get discarded from the result anyway.  The gating
 factor that makes the failure visible is that 8.3 considers "col IS
 NULL" to be indexable.  Hence I'm not going to risk back-patching
 further than 8.3.

- If pnstrdup is going to be promoted to a generally available
 function, it ought to conform to the rest of palloc.h in using Size
 for sizes.

- In pgsql/src/backend/access/gin/ginbulk.c, remove unnecessary
 coziness of GIN code with datum copying.  Now that space is tracked
 via GetMemoryChunkSpace, there's really no advantage to duplicating
 datumCopy's innards here.  This is one bit of my toast indirection
 patch that should go in anyway.

Bruce Momjian committed:

- Merge duplicate upper/lower/initcap() routines in oracle_compat.c
 and formatting.c to use common code;  remove duplicate functions and
 support routines that are no longer needed.

- Add TODO: "Consider whether duplicate keys should be sorted by
 block/offset."

- Add libpq comment about how to determine the format used for passing
 binary values.  Add comments to libpq C function for parameter
 passing.

- Add to TODO: "Implement a module capability for loading
 /contrib-style extensions."

- Add to TODO: "Allow custom variables to appear in pg_settings()."

- In pgsql/doc/src/sgml/backup.sgml, backup wording improvement.
 Joshua D. Drake.

- Add URL for Merge TODO.

- Add to TODO: "Allow COPY to report errors sooner."

- Mark TODO as done: "Prevent pg_dump/pg_restore from being affected
 by statement_timeout."

- Remove use of postmaster.opts.default by pg_ctl.

- Use SYSTEMQUOTE as concatentation to strings, rather than %s printf
 patterns, for clarity.

- Fix 'pg_ctl restart' to preserve command-line arguments.

- Add to TODO: "Improve LDAP authentication configuration options."

- Update FAQ URLs as suggested by Curtis Gallant.

- Simplify 'pg_ctl restart' detection of first argument in
 postmaster.opts.

- More FAQ URL updates from Curtis Gallant.

- Add TODO about security: "Improve server security options."

- In pgsql/src/bin/pg_ctl/pg_ctl.c, fix pg_ctl bug where detection of
 binary location from postmaster.opts wasn't working.

- Add MERGE TODO URL.

- In pgsql/doc/src/sgml/syntax.sgml, use SGML table to show backslash
 string escapes, rather than have them appear in a paragraph.  Andy
 Anderson.

- Fix 'pg_ctl reload' to properly preserve postmaster commend-line
 arguments on restart.  Patch to releases 8.0 - 8.3.X.

- Add to TODO: "Fix system views like pg_stat_all_tables to use
 set-returning functions, rather than views of per-column functions."

- In pgsql/doc/src/sgml/libpq.sgml, mention actual function names in
 documentation of how to pass binary values to libpq.

Michael Meskes committed:

- Synced parser for ecpg.

Teodor Sigaev committed:

- In pgsql/src/backend/utils/adt/formatting.c, fix bug "select
 lower('asd') = 'asd'" returns false with multibyte encoding and
 non-C locale. Fix is just to use correct source's length for
 char2wchar call.

Magnus Hagander committed:

- In pgsql/src/interfaces/libpq/win32.mak, fix standalone libpq build
 on win32.  Hiroshi Saito.

== Patch rigettate (per ora) ==
Raneyt AT cecs.pdx.edu's patch implementing XML output for EXPLAIN.
No documentation.

== Patch in attesa ==
Heikki Linnakangas sent in another revision of his "relation forks"
patch and another that rewrites the FSM.

David Wheeler sent in two revisions of a patch to add a
case-insensitive text types to PostgreSQL.

Thomas Lee sent in two revisions of a patch to add a new GUC called
track_activity_query_size per discussion
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2008-06/msg00814.php

ITAGI Takahiro sent in two revisions of a patch to fix the
archive/restore docs for Windows.

ITAGI Takahiro sent in a patch to create an executore hook for logging
SQL statements.

--
(all opinions expressed are my own)
Federico Campoli

pgsql-it-generale by date

Next:From: rotellaroDate: 2008-07-09 12:49:39