== Postgres Weekly News - 15 giugno 2008 ==

From: rotellaro(at)gmail(dot)com
To: pgsql-it-generale <pgsql-it-generale(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: == Postgres Weekly News - 15 giugno 2008 ==
Date: 2008-06-19 18:46:00
Lists: pgsql-it-generale
Sono state rilasciate le versioni 8.3.3, 8.2.9, etc. di PostgreSQL.
Eseguite l'upgrade a vostra discrezione.

== Postgres News prodotti ==
Rilasciato check_postgres 1.8.2.
http://bucardo.org/check_postgres/

== Offerte di lavoro legate a PostgreSQL per il mese di Giugno ==

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-jobs/2008-06/threads.php

== PostgreSQL news locali ==

Il pgDay di San Francisco necessita di presentazioni per il 5 agosto.
inviatele entro il 17 giugno.
http://pugs.postgresql.org/node/415

Il primo meeting del TorontoPUG ci sarà il 23 giugno al Rhino.
http://pugs.postgresql.org/blog/159

L'Oklahoma PUG terrà il suo primo meeting il 23 giugno dalle 19:00
alle 21:00 presso Coach's, Norman, OK.
http://pugs.postgresql.org/node/408

Il meeting di preparazione al PgDay italiano ci sarà mercoledi 25
giugno alle ore 2130 CET via IRC.
irc://irc.freenode.net/pgday-it

Il pgDay di Portland necessita di presentazioni entro il 20 luglio.
Inviatele entro tale data.
http://pugs.postgresql.org/node/400

Il PGCon Brasile 2008 ci sara' il 26 e 27 settembre 2008 a Unicamp, Campinas.
http://pgcon.postgresql.org.br/index.en.html

Il PGDay.IT 2008 ci sarà il 17 e 18 ottobre a Prato.
http://www.pgday.org/it/

== News su PostgreSQL ==

Planet PostgreSQL: http://www.planetpostgresql.org/

General Bits, archivi e nuovi articoli occasionali:
http://www.varlena.com/GeneralBits/

PostgreSQL Weekly News è stato spedito questa settimana grazie a David
Fetter e Tom Lane.

Per segnalare news e annunci invia un email in inglese entro le ore 15,
fuso orario della costa orientale degli U.S.A, di domenica.

Per segnalazioni in inglese david(at)fetter(dot)org, per segnalazioni in
Tedesco pwn(at)pgug(dot)de, per segnalazioni in italiano pwn(at)itpug(dot)org

== Patch applicate ==
Tom Lane committed:

- In pgsql/src/backend/commands/aggregatecmds.c, ALTER AGGREGATE OWNER
 seems to have been missed by the last couple of patches that dealt
 with object ownership.  It wasn't updating pg_shdepend nor adjusting
 the aggregate's ACL.  In 8.2 and up, fix this permanently by making
 it use AlterFunctionOwner_oid.  In 8.1, the function code wasn't
 factored that way, so just copy and paste.

- In pgsql/doc/src/sgml/release.sgml, update release notes for ALTER
 AGGREGATE fix.

- Stamp 8.3.3, 8.2.9, 8.1.13, 8.0.17, 7.4.21 (except for
 configure.in/configure).

- Rewrite DROP's dependency traversal algorithm into an honest
 two-pass algorithm, replacing the original intention of a one-pass
 search, which had been hacked up over time to be partially two-pass
 in hopes of handling various corner cases better.  It still wasn't
 quite there, especially as regards emitting unwanted NOTICE
 messages.  More importantly, this approach lets us fix a number of
 open bugs concerning concurrent DROP scenarios, because we can take
 locks during the first pass and avoid traversing to dependent
 objects that were just deleted by someone else.  There is more that
 can be done here, but I'll go ahead and commit the base patch before
 working on the options.

- In pgsql/src/backend/access/index/genam.c, fix breakage caused by
 conflicting patches, as evidenced by the buildfarm.

- Tag 8.0.17, 7.4.21.

- Fix an ALTER TABLE test case so that it actually tests what the
 comment says it is testing.  Ah, the perils of making keywords
 optional ...

- Fix datetime input functions to correctly detect integer overflow
 when running on a 64-bit platform ... strtol() will happily return
 64-bit output in that case.  Per bug #4231 from Geoff Tolley.

- In pgsql/src/backend/utils/adt/cash.c, fix unportable (and incorrect
 anyway) usage of LL constant suffix that recently snuck into cash.c.
 Per report from Edmundo Robles Lopez.

- Create a script to handle stamping release version numbers into
 files, replacing the tedious and error-prone manual process we've
 been using.

- Improve reporting of dependencies in DROP to work like the scheme
 that we devised for pg_shdepend, namely the individual dependencies
 are reported as DETAIL lines rather than coming out as separate
 NOTICEs.  The client-side report is capped at 100 lines, but the
 server log always gets a full report.

- In pgsql/src/backend/access/heap/tuptoaster.c, improve the various
 elog messages in tuptoaster.c to report which TOAST table the
 problem happened in.  These are all supposedly can't-happen cases,
 but when they do happen it's useful to know where.  Back-patch to
 8.3, but not further because the patch doesn't apply cleanly further
 back.  Given the lack of response to my proposal of this, there
 doesn't seem to be enough interest to justify much back-porting
 effort.

- Refactor the handling of the various DropStmt variants so that when
 multiple objects are specified, we drop them all in a single
 performMultipleDeletions call.  This makes the RESTRICT/CASCADE
 checks more relaxed: it's not counted as a cascade if one of the
 later objects has a dependency on an earlier one.  NOTICE messages
 about such cases go away, too.  In passing, fix the permissions
 check for DROP CONVERSION, which for some reason was never made
 role-aware, and omitted the namespace-owner exemption too.  Alex
 Hunsaker, with further fiddling by me.

- Rearrange ALTER TABLE syntax processing as per my recent proposal:
 the grammar allows ALTER TABLE/INDEX/SEQUENCE/VIEW interchangeably
 for all subforms of those commands, and then we sort out what's
 really legal at execution time.  This allows the ALTER SEQUENCE/VIEW
 reference pages to fully document all the ALTER forms available for
 sequences and views respectively, and eliminates a longstanding
 cause of confusion for users.  The net effect is that the following
 forms are allowed that weren't before: ALTER SEQUENCE OWNER TO,
 ALTER VIEW ALTER COLUMN SET/DROP DEFAULT, ALTER VIEW OWNER TO, and
 ALTER VIEW SET SCHEMA, (There's no actual functionality gain here,
 but formerly you had to say ALTER TABLE instead.) Interestingly, the
 grammar tables actually get smaller, probably because there are
 fewer special cases to keep track of.  I did not disallow using
 ALTER TABLE for these operations.  Perhaps we should, but there's a
 backwards-compatibility issue if we do; in fact it would break
 existing pg_dump scripts.  I did however tighten up ALTER SEQUENCE
 and ALTER VIEW to reject non-sequences and non-views in the new
 cases as well as a couple of cases where they didn't before.  The
 patch doesn't change pg_dump to use the new syntaxes, either.

- In pgsql/src/backend/access/gist/gistutil.c, fix 64-bit problem in
 recent patch.

- In pgsql/src/backend/commands/tablecmds.c, make DROP INDEX lock the
 parent table before locking the index.  This behavior is necessary
 to avoid deadlock against ordinary queries, but we'd broken it with
 recent changes that made the DROP machinery lock the index before
 arriving at index_drop.  Per intermittent buildfarm failures.

- In pgsql/doc/src/sgml/maintenance.sgml, rewrite docs section about
 routine vacuuming --- it's gotten rather mangled of late, with lots
 of redundancy, bad grammar, and just plain poor exposition.  Make it
 clear that autovacuum is now considered the normal solution.

Alvaro Herrera committed:

- Move BufferGetPageSize and BufferGetPage from bufpage.h to bufmgr.h.
 It is more logical that way, and also it reduces the amount of
 unnecessary includes in bufpage.h, which is widely used.  Zdenek
 Kotala.  My previous patch to bufpage.h should also have credited
 him as author, but I forgot (sorry about that).

- In pgsql/doc/src/sgml/Makefile, make XML building work silently on
 VPATH builds (untested on regular builds).

- In pgsql/doc/src/sgml/config.sgml, in the log_filename
 documentation, mention that strftime is not used directly to expand
 the pattern specifier.  Per gripe from Josh Drake.

Marc Fournier committed:

- Tag 8.3.3, 8.2.9, 8.1.13.

Neil Conway committed:

- In pgsql/src/backend/storage/lmgr/proc.c, fix typo in comment.

- In pgsql/src/backend/storage/lmgr/proc.c, further tweak for comment
 in CheckDeadLock(), per Tom Lane.

- In pgsql/src/bin/psql/mainloop.c, editorialization for the text
 emitted by the "help" psql command.  Basically just reuse the same
 text that psql emitted as part of its startup banner in prior
 versions, and make some whitespace more consistent with the
 conventions in other psql command output.

Bruce Momjian committed:

- Update Japanese FAQ.  Jun Kuwamura.

- In pgsql/src/backend/utils/misc/postgresql.conf.sample, fix spelling
 mistake in postgresql.conf.  Greg Sabino Mullane.

- Add to TODO: "Add pg_ctl option to do a syntax check of
 postgresql.conf."

- In pgsql/doc/src/sgml/ecpg.sgml, use macro to document size of ecpg
 sqlerrmc string.

- Update item to mention target list problem.

- Modify TODO entry to be a function: "Add functions to syntax check
 configuration files."

Heikki Linnakangas committed:

- In pgsql/src/include/tsearch/ts_type.h, comment fix, should say
 TSQuery instead of TSVector.  Per Jan Urbanski.

- In pgsql/src/backend/access/nbtree/nbtinsert.c, fix bug in the WAL
 recovery code to finish an incomplete split.
 CacheInvalidateRelcache() crashes if called in WAL recovery, because
 the invalidation infrastructure hasn't been initialized yet.
 Back-patch to 8.2, where the bug was introduced.

- Add optional on/off argument to \timing.  David Fetter.

- In pgsql/src/bin/psql/help.c, update "help" output to reflect that
 \timing now takes an optional on/off argument.

- Refactor XLogOpenRelation() and XLogReadBuffer() in preparation for
 relation forks. XLogOpenRelation() and the associated light-weight
 relation cache in xlogutils.c is gone, and XLogReadBuffer() now
 takes a RelFileNode as argument, instead of Relation.  For functions
 that still need a Relation struct during WAL replay, there's a new
 function called CreateFakeRelcacheEntry() that returns a fake entry
 like XLogOpenRelation() used to.

Andrew Dunstan committed:

- In pgsql/src/tools/add_cvs_markers add script to find .c and .h
 files that are missing CVS PostgreSQL markers and add them. Avoids
 third party files or those that would cause regression failures.

- In pgsql/src/tools/add_cvs_markers, prevent CVS from mangling
 script.

== Patch rigettate (per ora) ==
Nessuno è stato scontentato questa settimana ;)

== Patch in attesa ==
Pavan Deolasee sent in a WIP patch to improve VACUUM by making LAZY
VACUUM more efficient.

Heikki Linnakangas sent in another revision of his patch to refactor
the XLogOpenRelation/XLogReadBuffer interface, in preparation for the
relation forks patch, and subsequently the FSM rewrite patch.

Greg Sabino Mullane sent in a patch to format functions for better
readability in pg_dump, placing the function body last.

Bruce Momjian sent in a revision of Euler Taveira de Oliveira's patch
which simplifies formatting.c.

Euler Taveira de Oliveira which fixes a small typo in the DTrace docs.

pgsql at Mohawksoft.com sent in a patch to fix sslconfig in 8.3.3.

Zdenek Kotala sent in a patch in preparation for his in-place upgrades
patch.

Alvaro Herrera sent in two revisions of a patch to remove inclusions
of relscan.h from unneeded places.

--
(all opinions expressed are my own)
Federico Campoli

pgsql-it-generale by date

Next:From: Stefano TranquilliniDate: 2008-06-23 15:48:17