Re: The naming question (Postgres vs PostgreSQL)

From: Federico <rotellaro(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Guillaume Lelarge" <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
Cc: "Bruce Momjian" <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, "Ron Mayer" <rm_pg(at)cheapcomplexdevices(dot)com>, "Stefan Kaltenbrunner" <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc>, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: The naming question (Postgres vs PostgreSQL)
Date: 2007-08-30 11:18:10
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On 8/30/07, Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info> wrote:
> Bruce Momjian a écrit :
> > Ron Mayer wrote:
> >>>
> >> The reason people assume "Postgre" is the right short form is
> >> because that's what the current capitalization "PostgreSQL"
> >> implies.
> >>
> >> If the name is changed to "PostgreS" you may still
> >> have the problem. With "Postgres" it won't be.
> >>
> >> If the name is changed to "PostgresQL" the "postgre"
> >> problem would probably go away - but I think most would
> >> agree that changing to "PostgresQL" is rather silly.
> >
> > Consider that with PostgresQL, URLs, email list names, postgresql.conf,
> > searches don't have to change at all, and we have something that is more
> > clearly pronounceable.
> >

> So the product name will be Postgres, the binary is already postgres and
> the configuration file will still have the name postgresql.conf. This
> will be great to explain at training courses. This will cause confusion.
> This will cause questions on mailing lists and booths.
>
> I'm still against the name change but I rather prefer a complete change
> than a change on the more easy strings to "search and replace".
>
> Regards.

I agree with Guillaume and Gabriele.
Probably everything seems fine in advocacy list but I don't think that
enterprises and users will agree with a sudden change of name.
A thing like this can be a boomerang making PostgreSQL nasty at people
that now love it :(

As suggested by Gabriele a soft change is more suitable.

Kind regards
Federico
--
Federico Campoli is: