Re: [Cert] Re: PostgreSQL Certification

From: "Santiago Zarate" <santiago(at)zarate(dot)net(dot)ve>
To: cert(at)lists(dot)postgresqlcertification(dot)org
Cc: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org, "Ron Mayer" <rm_pg(at)cheapcomplexdevices(dot)com>, "Josh Berkus" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Subject: Re: [Cert] Re: PostgreSQL Certification
Date: 2008-02-04 15:36:59
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-general

>From jan-paul:

>Thats my point. A "PostgreSQL Certified Company" is just about a
>brillant button on a company's web page, or a stamp on any commercial,
>"certifying" the company has knowledge in PostgreSQL and has prooved it
>has one.
>I think a company could be "Certified" when it hires a certain number of
>PostgreSQL "certified" individuals.

Its a great Idea...

>All the point is determining how much...
>2 Certified DBAs on a 5 consultants company can be enough.
>But 2 certified DBAs in a company of 100? 1000?
>Yes, it'll be hard to define something right.

We got a problem here... what happens when the company its really
small? in the case of Rotator Software... we're 4 techie guys... and 2
trainess... (We're in the olap world ;)) so guess how's the situation
there for us...

Yet... hiring postgresql certified people does not ensures a company
has the knowledge... since companies rotate its employees from time to
time... so we may either have the certified guys tell us where they
work, and by that give the button to the company.... or trust the
company?

>I was thinking also that only Certified PostgreSQL Training Companies
>could pretend to prepare trainees for PostgreSQL Certification.

I would suggest using PUGS for this.... but under the "academy" or so
shape... in this... grupove/vepug/Venezuelan PUG (the 5 guys that are
atm on it, and we're still in the process of creation) are giving free
talks and planning to give a fullday training season at some
university in march :D...

>The things I'd like this reflection to reach, on the "company
>certification", are:

>But I know many of you will think that we musn't mix certification with
>money at any time... I'm just telling you "heh, this could be a nice way
>to have money to the project", not that we *must* take it.

>My opinion is that if we only think about donations to "certify"
>companies, we will wait for them a long, long... long time.

>And sometimes, I'm a bit fed up of selling $5 mugs or $1 pins when I
<know I need $200 for a banner or that I like to give $150 to a guy going
>present PostgreSQL far from home, or even help guys at PG.De or PG.Uk :/

>I know you'll tell me I have to ask companies here to donate. We did,
>many times.

>They all tell the same: "What I have for the money?" I respond "well,
>you helps us a lot".... No need to say this is not what they wanna hear.

I agree with all your points here....