Re: 8.5 development schedule

From: Nikhil Sontakke <nikhil(dot)sontakke(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 8.5 development schedule
Date: 2009-06-30 14:10:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

>> However, if anything, I think if anything we should go the other way
>> and start the first CommitFest July 15th.
>
> I'm curious what the counter-arguments to this are.  Is it
> review-fatigue from getting the release out, or is there an economy of
> scale to building up a 100 patches before starting to review?  Would
> reviewing these get some contributors moving again, thus boosting the
> total work hours available for the 8.5 release?  Would it pull people
> off of WIP?

Agreed, especially for some of the largish WIP (like the partitioning
work for example) patches, a little effort being spent by our
reviewers on agreeing (or disagreeing right now!) on the
direction-implementation being pursued will go a long way in pulling
those efforts off from the WIP mode.

ISTM that identifying and quantifying a certain effort as small,
medium, large and having an appropriate review mechanism in place
might help too.

Regards,
Nikhils
--