Re: Slow Inserts on large tables

From: "Peter Childs" <peterachilds(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "Postgresql Performance" <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Slow Inserts on large tables
Date: 2008-10-03 08:47:38
Lists: pgsql-performance
2008/10/3 Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>:
> Peter Childs wrote:
>>
>> I have a problem where by an insert on a "large" table will sometimes
>> take longer than usual.
>
>> I think the problem might have something to do with checkpoints,
>
> Then show us your checkpointing-related parameters.  Or try to set them to a
> lot higher values so checkpoints happen more rarely and see if that makes a
> difference.

More often or less often?

I've currently got them set to

checkpoint_segments = 3
checkpoint_timeout = 180s
checkpoint_completion_target = 0.5

after reading that doing more smaller checkpoints might make each
checkpoint work quicker and hence less of a performance hit when they
actually happen.

Regards

Peter