Re: Replication Syatem

From: "Peter Childs" <peterachilds(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Replication Syatem
Date: 2008-04-28 13:58:14
Lists: pgsql-performance
2008/4/28 Gauri Kanekar <meetgaurikanekar(at)gmail(dot)com>:

> All,
> We have a table "table1" which get insert and updates daily in high
> numbers, bcoz of which its size is increasing and we have to vacuum it every
> alternate day. Vacuuming "table1" take almost 30min and during that time the
> site is down.
> We need to cut down on this downtime.So thought of having a replication
> system, for which the replicated DB will be up during the master is getting
> vacuumed.
> Can anybody guide which will be the best suited replication solution for
> this.
> Thanx for any help
> ~ Gauri

I home your not using Vacuum Full....... (Standard Reply for this type of

What version of Postgresql are you using?

Have you tried autovacuum?

Run plain vacuum even more often on this even more often (like ever half
hour) and it should not take as long and save space.

If still have trouble run "vacuum analyse verbose table1;" and see what it

If your doing it right you should be able to vacuum with the database up.

Sounds like you might be happier a fix for the problem rather than a complex
work around which will actually solve a completely different problem.