using 'count' to show number of dupes

From: Andy Harrison <aharrison(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: using 'count' to show number of dupes
Date: 2004-07-12 17:28:40
Lists: pgsql-novice

I'm writing some perl to sendmail maillog reporting. Since the logs
are too big to some of the things I want to do, I'm just stuffing it
to a pgsql db. I'd like to offload as much of the work onto the db as
much as possible.

How can I use count to show rows with the same value in the column?

col1 col2 col3
foo1 bar1 baz1
foo2 bar1 baz2
foo3 bar2 baz3
foo4 bar3 baz4
foo5 bar1 baz5
foo6 bar2 baz6

So, what would get pg to show me that col2 has 3 'bar1' values, 2
'bar2' values and 1 'bar1' value.

--
Andy Harrison