Re: Chaotically weird execution plan

From: "Scott Carey" <scott(at)richrelevance(dot)com>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Einars <einars(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Chaotically weird execution plan
Date: 2008-09-24 04:07:11
Lists: pgsql-performance
Einars, you may be able to force a query plan similar to the first one, on
the second data set, if you decrease the random page cost or disable bitmap
scans.  If a regular index scan is faster than the bitmap scan with the same
query returning the same results, there may be some benefit that can be
gained with tuning further.  But it isn't likely and will depend on how
likely the pages are to be in RAM versus disk.  If this is a big problem for
you, it may be worth trying however.