Re: Patch for "Panel for Joins in the Graphic Query Builder"

From: "Luis Ochoa" <ziul1979(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Ashesh D Vashi" <ashesh(dot)vashi(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Patch for "Panel for Joins in the Graphic Query Builder"
Date: 2008-12-02 22:42:18
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

On Mon, Dec 1, 2008 at 6:41 AM, Ashesh D Vashi <
ashesh(dot)vashi(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> As per my discussion with Dave Page:
> - Replace the generic dialog box that the graphical query builder uses when
> you right-click a join, and select the join type option. It currently
> uses
> an ugly standard dialog. Create a more compact and purpose built one -
> like
> the one you get when you add criteria, and click on the 'restricted
> value'
> button.

Good improvement, yeah it was my foul :(

> Modifications and addition are as follows:
> * Introduced couple of new classes for handling operations:
> + gqbJoinsPanel - Panel for handling the joins in the tab - container for

criteria, order & columns panels

Good add-on

> + gqbJoinsPopUp - Pop up window, when selecting a column from the table
> list,
> derived from the gqbColsPopUp
>

> + gqbGridJoinTable - Table for handling all the joins data. It handles
> three
> columns Source, Join-Type & Destination
> * Added new images gqbAdd.xpm & gqbRemove.xpm
> * Renamed wxRestrictionGrid to gqbCustomGrid as we're using the same Grid
> for
> handling the criteria(s) and join(s) in the gqbCriteriaPanel and
> gqbJoinsPanel
> respectively.

Good change, I notice this item probably will be use in the future for
others panels but at that moment I hadn't enough time to think in a good
name ;)

> * Added one operator [] in gqbArrayCollection for accessing the gqbObject
> object
> directory (replacement/accessibility of the object at particular index
> will be
> easy and fast).

A good way to access the vector, but allowing the code to access directly
the objects based on the index probably decrease the independece of the
subyacent structured inside the collection. If I decided to change the
vector for a hash map in a future this operator probably difficult the
change by example, because now we have hard code access directly to the
structure inside the collection.

> * Removed the context menu "Set Type" removed for join, as this operation
> will be
> handled from the joins-panel now onwards.

I'm not really sure about remove the Set type from context menu, because
this was the fastest way to do this task, I think it can be change but for a
faster one way (like click on the type =,<,> etc and change in a circular
way the type), and consequence of forcing the user to use a panel to change
some properties in a diagram probably is it can hurt usability.

> Regards,
> Ashesh Vashi
>

> --

About Last Dave commentaries:

I don't see any difference on Windows - I still need to click on the
> canvas before the label changes. Changing to a difference cell, or
> hitting return doesn't help.

I fixed this in a very rudimentary way this you can try to find a new and
more elegant one solution Ashesh. I included the patch here
the only change was made on gqbGridJoinTable class and affected ones).

About the the two patches:
I have something to tell about the patches: I tried the second patch first
but doesn't works, tried the first and works Revert svn and apply second
patch and works, there is any file missing in the second patch?

Regards, Luis.

Attachment Content-Type Size
fixupdate.patch text/x-patch 26.6 KB