Re: Syntax got translated

From: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
To: Susanne Ebrecht <susanne(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Pg Bugs <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Syntax got translated
Date: 2012-02-20 21:12:48
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Mon, 20 Feb 2012 21:47:49 +0100, Susanne Ebrecht
<susanne(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
> Am 20.02.2012 21:22, schrieb Guillaume Lelarge:
>>
>> I don't see why the modifiers shouldn't be translatable. It's not as if
>> they were intended to be copied and pasted in a query. They are here to
>> help the user understand the different modifiers in each column.
>>

> Of course they are intended to get copied and pasted. In support you
> often ask
> for output from \d tablename. And when I look to the languages that I
> never learned,
> especially when I look into Turkish - I would read NULL and not would
> estimate column is
> not NULL.
>
> Default and not null are keywords - they are valid sql syntax.
> They are constraint definitions.
>
> When I output the table definition I want the constraint definition - I
> don't want to translate it
> back to english to understand - ahhhh default is meant.

If that's so, nothing should be translatable in psql. If you do \d, the
second column is the relation type. I guess seeing vue instead of view
won't help you, so we need to stop translating this. The table's title
shouldn't be translatable too. Etc.

If you want the english way, you already can do this. You just need to ask
your customer to use "LANG=C psql" instead of psql.

--
Guillaume
http://www.postgresql.fr