Re: PostgreSQL vs. Oracle vs. Microsoft

From: Randolf Richardson <rr(at)8x(dot)ca>
To: pgsql-benchmarks(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL vs. Oracle vs. Microsoft
Date: 2005-01-09 03:16:33
Lists: pgsql-benchmarks
"ycrevecoeur(at)nyc(dot)rr(dot)com" wrote in pgsql.benchmarks:

[sNip]
> It really depends on the job at hand.
>
> If this is for a super critical environment and the database is gonna
> get pounded really hard then go with Oracle if you have the budget
> otherwise PostgreSQL should do fine although Microsoft has nice
> development tools.

    	Unfortunately "nice development tools" has absolutely nothing to do
with "super critical" and "gonna get pounded really hard."

    	And with regards to the development tools, I actually find the
Microsoft tools not to my liking because they tend to keep the developer from
knowing what's really going on "under the hood" -- my preference is a
straight text editor to edit the source, compile/make, then see the results
(and only get into debugging as needed), thus fancy development tools are
mostly a waste of time for me (I'm happy with my text editor called "MEd").

> http://www.devx.com/dbzone/Article/20743

    	I'll take a look at that.  Thanks for the link.