Re: postgresql or mysql or oracle?

From: Randolf Richardson <rr(at)8x(dot)ca>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: postgresql or mysql or oracle?
Date: 2005-01-06 07:55:23
Lists: pgsql-novice
"rporticio(at)yahoo(dot)com (Ramon Orticio)" wrote in pgsql.novice:

> how do you compare postgresql to mysql or oracle 10i
> which has become an open source material?

    	What does Oracle mean by "open source?"  Is it 100% open source, or
only partially, or do they mean something different?  Many commercial
organizations have made claims that their products are "open source" but
have worded such claims in clever ways to hide the fact that they really
aren't, and so I remain skeptical given this general history of the
industry (I have no idea if Oracle is doing this or not).

> thank you for your expert opinion.

    	Although I don't consider myself an expert in this area, one of the
things that I notice about these three products is the price:

    	    	Oracle:  Not free for most uses
    	    	MySQL:  Not free for commercial use
    	    	PostgreSQL:  Free for all uses

    	The main reason I moved away from Oracle is that they dropped support
for Novell's NetWare OS.  On the other hand, MySQL is officially supported
on NetWare now, and PostgreSQL is on its way there (I began learning
PostgreSQL by experimenting with beta versions of it on NetWare, and after
much testing to see how it and the other two fit my needs I became a big
fan).

    	In my opinion both Oracle and PostgreSQL support transactions
properly, but MySQL doesn't because it allows for the mixture of both
transactional and non-transactional tables.  I don't know if this issue has
ever been resolved, but it was still a problem as far as I knew three
months ago.

    	Oracle and PostgreSQL are in a different league than MySQL.  For
projects that I know are going to remain small pretty much forever, and
don't require data reliability, I would select MySQL, but for the larger
projects (even if they start out small) I would use PostgreSQL (or Oracle
if the customer required it).

    	Oracle has table spaces, but MySQL does not.  PostgreSQL 8 supports
table spaces (I haven't verified this yet, but I have no reason to doubt
it), and this is important for optimization nuts and organization freaks
like myself.

    	[If I'm mistaken about any of this, corrections are welcome.]