Re: comp.databases.postgresql.* groups and RFD

From: Woodchuck Bill <bwr607(at)hotmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: comp.databases.postgresql.* groups and RFD
Date: 2004-11-27 18:37:47
Lists: pgsql-general
Marc G. Fournier From: <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org> wrote in

> Robert McClenon <robert(dot)mcclenon(at)verizon(dot)net> writes:
>
>>Another thread on the topic of this RFD was cross-posted to
>>pgsql.general.  I didn't notice that it was cross-posted, and so
>>cross-posted a reply to news.groups and pgsql.general.  I then got a
>>message from the list gateway saying that my post was stalled awaiting
>>moderator approval because I was not on the list of list subscribers.
>
> As I made mention in another thread, the lists are not moderated past
> the fact that you need to be subscribed in order to post directly
> through to the list ... and subscribed does not mean 'receiving email',
> as that would defeat the point ... if you send a quick:
>
> subscribe-set <listname> <email> nomail
>
> to majordomo(at)postgresql(dot)org to get yourself subscribed in a 'do not send
> me email' way, then that would eliminate the requirement for me to
> approve your posting ...
>
> This applies to anyone either reading through usenet, or trying to post
> directly to the lists through email ...

You're missing the point. You are still looking at things from the point of
view of a list subscriber. The RFD is to focus on the experience of a
Usenet poster.

Take your average Usenet poster..he finds one of the PostGreSQL groups, and
sees that they are listed as unmoderated groups. He posts a question. He
gets an e-mail from a moderator's robot. This creates major confusion. He
is not aware that 99 percent of the NG volume comes from e-mails to mailing
lists.

--
Bill

pgsql-general by date

Next:From: Eric EDate: 2004-11-27 18:46:34