Re: Tests fail on Solaris

From: Dave Roberts <dave(dot)roberts(at)saaconsultants(dot)com>
To: pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Tests fail on Solaris
Date: 2002-03-25 15:32:55
Lists: pgsql-ports
On Mon, 18 Mar 2002 16:17:08 GMT, I wrote:

> I realise this isn't much to go on, but would apprecaite pointers for
> other things that I need to check or try out.

Following up to my own message, to tie up the solution within the
archives.  Unfortunately I had to wing this one on my own, and after a
week's worth of pain, I got there in the end.

I believe ultimately the problem was down to NFS, but the errors that I
was getting changed over time from the ones I originally posted to errors
stating that block x could not be written, and resource temporarily
unavailable - but with no other indicators.  I must have tried about 30
different compilations on both 7.1.3 and 7.2.

It was unfortunate (for this) that my home directory is mounted onto many
machines and I didn't read anything about not running the database or
backend on an NFS partition.

So, the check list for Solaris (5.8) seems to be:-

1) Read doc/FAQ_Solaris, and ensure that tests are performed over a TCP
socket, and not a Unix domain socket.

2) Ensure that the shared memory and semaphore settings are high enough in

3) Build and run the regression tests on local disc storage, and not NFS.

Optimisation flags are optional, but I've left them in now for hopefully
faster response.

- Dave.

pgsql-ports by date

Next:From: asttaDate: 2002-04-03 02:21:21