From: Craig Orsinger <orsingerc(at)epg-gw1(dot)lewis(dot)army(dot)mil>
To: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Loading libpgtcl on HP-UX Systems
Date: 1999-07-29 18:51:27
Lists: pgsql-interfaces
        I'm having difficulty with loading the libpgtcl on an
HP-UX 10.20 system. The PostgreSQL version is 6.4.2. When I
run pgaccess, or another TCL script that requires loading
libpgtcl.so (or libpgtcl.sl), it fails with a "no such file"
message. In the case of pgaccess, I got around this by having
that script start up "pgtksh" instead of "wish". Unfortunately,
this is not possible in the other script, since it is actually
using a special interpreter already (scwish, from the Scotty
network editor). TCL version is 7.6, and Tk version is 4.2.

        Has anyone been able to make this work on this version
of HP-UX? If so, what did you have to do? To save some time, here
are things I have tried:

        - Creating a symbolic link from libpgtcl.sl to libpgtcl.so
        - Changing the script to load "libpgtcl.sl"
        - Changing the script to load "/opt/postgres/lib/libpgtcl.sl"
          (which, of course, is the location of the library)
        - setting SHLIB_PATH to /opt/postgres/lib
        - setting TCLLIBPATH to /opt/postgres/lib
        - editing the init.tcl script for TCL

        My suspicion is that this has something to do with the
difference between shared, demand loadable, and dynamic libraries,
all of which are supported by HP-UX but, of course, require
different procedures for building and installing libraries and
the executables that use them.

        Upgrading to a more recent version of TCL/Tk or PostgreSQL
is acceptable, providing I can be assured that this will cure the
problem.

Date: 29-Jul-99  Time: 11:36:20

Craig Orsinger                  (email: <orsingerc(at)epg(dot)lewis(dot)army(dot)mil>)
Logicon RDA
Bldg. 8B28                      "Just another megalomaniac with ideas above his
6th & F Streets                 station. The Universe is full of them."
Ft. Lewis, WA   98433                   - The Doctor

pgsql-interfaces by date

Next:From: Paul RushingDate: 1999-07-29 20:20:21