RE: [HACKERS] Re: [BUGS] Dropped connection during COPY causes t

From: Vince Vielhaber <vev(at)michvhf(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgreSQL(dot)org, pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: RE: [HACKERS] Re: [BUGS] Dropped connection during COPY causes t
Date: 1999-07-22 01:48:57
Lists: pgsql-bugspgsql-hackers
On 22-Jul-99 Bruce Momjian wrote:

>> BTW, it occurs to me that the system ought to have provisions for
>> limiting the size of the logfile, rotating logfiles from time to
>> time, etc ... right now you cannot do those things easily except
>> by restarting the postmaster :-(.  Even without this bug, a determined
>> attacker could create a DOS attack by doing EXPLAIN VERBOSE enough
>> times to run the postmaster logfile up to full disk.  Bruce, I think
>> we need another TODO item:
>>   * prevent postmaster logfile from growing without bound
>
> Not sure this really is a PostgreSQL issue.  Other OS systems have this
> problem too.

I've seen these complaints on other lists for other programs (mail, news,
web, etc...).  IMO it's more of an administration issue than an OS issue
or even something for the program filling it.  The admin needs to know
what's running on his/her system and how to handle the logs (and the
rotating of) accordingly.

Vince.
Vince Vielhaber -- KA8CSH   email: vev(at)michvhf(dot)com   flame-mail: /dev/null
       # include <std/disclaimers.h>                   TEAM-OS2