RE: [HACKERS] How do I get the backend server into gdb?

From: Vince Vielhaber <vev(at)michvhf(dot)com>
To: Michael J Davis <michael(dot)j(dot)davis(at)tvguide(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: RE: [HACKERS] How do I get the backend server into gdb?
Date: 1999-04-28 21:05:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On 28-Apr-99 Michael J Davis wrote:
> I tired but it breaks in the Postmaster and not in the backend process that
> is created for each process.

Have you tried starting the postmaster in debug mode?   From man postmaster:

       -d [debug_level]
            The  optional  argument  debug_level  determines  the
            amount of debugging output the backend  servers  will
            produce.   If debug_level is one, the postmaster will
            trace all connection traffic, and nothing else.   For
            levels  two and higher, debugging is turned on in the
            backend process  and  the  postmaster  displays  more
            information,  including  the  backend environment and
            process traffic.  Note that if no file  is  specified
            for  backend  servers  to send their debugging output
            then this output will appear on the  controlling  tty
            of their parent postmaster.

There other debugging comments in this man page so you may wanna look
at it first.

Vince.
Vince Vielhaber -- KA8CSH   email: vev(at)michvhf(dot)com   flame-mail: /dev/null
       # include <std/disclaimers.h>                   TEAM-OS2