Re: [HACKERS] OR clause status report - working

From: Vince Vielhaber <vev(at)michvhf(dot)com>
To: Vince Vielhaber <vev(at)michvhf(dot)com>
Cc: (PostgreSQL-development) <hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>, Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Vadim Mikheev <vadim(at)krs(dot)ru>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] OR clause status report - working
Date: 1998-07-31 19:12:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On 31-Jul-98 Vince Vielhaber wrote:

> On 31-Jul-98 Vadim Mikheev wrote:
>> Vince Vielhaber wrote:
>>>
>>> Yep, it created it that time but still won't use it. :(
>>
>> Yes, I see.
>>
>> This is patch for 6.3.2
>> CVS updated.
>>

> campsites=> explain select * from locations where lower(city) = 'oxford';
> NOTICE:  QUERY PLAN:
>
> Index Scan using lower_city on locations  (cost=3608.95 size=56600
> width=32)
>
> EXPLAIN
> campsites=>
>

> Much better!  Thanks!  Now I get to upgrade the production machine.

Ok, everything's working now but I did run into something unexpected.
The test machine (actually my desktop) has been running the cvsup'd
version since I set ip up a couple of weeks ago.  The production machine
was running 6.3.  The INSTALL file says dumping the db wasn't necessary
yet I had to - it wouldn't run without it and complained about the older
database.  Is dumping going to be required for 6.4?

Also are indexes working for floats when the query uses BETWEEN?

Vince.
Vince Vielhaber -- KA8CSH   email: vev(at)michvhf(dot)com   flame-mail: /dev/null
       # include <std/disclaimers.h>                   TEAM-OS2
   Online Searchable Campground Listings    http://www.camping-usa.com
       "There is no outfit less entitled to lecture me about bloat
               than the federal government"  -- Tony Snow