Re: pg_dumpall won't work?

From: Joel Mc Graw <jmcgraw(at)databill(dot)com>
To: tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us, jpmcgraw1(at)cox(dot)net
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_dumpall won't work?
Date: 2002-02-21 18:43:08
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Thu, 07 Feb 2002 12:52:26 -0500, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>Joel Mc Graw <jpmcgraw1(at)home(dot)com> writes:
>> I tried to run pg_dumpall and I got "strdup: failed to allocate
>> memory". I tried to run it again and I get a segmentation fault.
>
>Strange. Can you provide a debugger backtrace from the segfault?
>Another thing that might be useful is to log the queries being sent
>to the server, so we can see what the last few were. Easiest way
>to do that is
> export PGOPTIONS="-d2"
>(or equivalent for whatever shell you use) before running pg_dump.
>
> regards, tom lane
>
>---------------------------(end of
broadcast)---------------------------

OK, I finally have a moment to address this (God it's scary having a
production DB and not being able to back it up....)
Tom, I'm afraid I'm not quite the guru I'd like to be; can you (or
anyone) provide guidance on getting a "debugger backtrace from the
segfault"?
The following shows the queries after exporting PGOPTIONS="-d2"

-
-- pg_dumpall (7.1.3)
--
\connect template1
DELETE FROM pg_shadow WHERE usesysid <> (SELECT datdba FROM pg_database

CREATE USER "jmcgraw" WITH SYSID 1001 CREATEDB NOCREATEUSER;
CREATE USER "production" WITH SYSID 1002 CREATEDB NOCREATEUSER;
CREATE USER "jbrucker" WITH SYSID 1006 NOCREATEDB NOCREATEUSER;

DELETE FROM pg_group;

--
-- Database production
--