Re: Big Picture

From: "paul butler" <paul(at)entropia(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Big Picture
Date: 2002-10-22 10:33:48
Lists: pgsql-novice

Date sent: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 05:51:42 -0400
Subject: Re: [NOVICE] Big Picture
From: Erik Price <erikprice(at)mac(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org

On my cursory reading of Fabien Pascal on dbdebunk.com (which
is both refreshing and entertaining and reccommended), he seems
to emphasise the need to separate the application from the
application's data requirements. Get the data model right and then
look hard at how the application might best be implemented.

Many rdbms' have a layer (in pg, rules, triggers, plsql etc) which
have the potential to support an applications functional
requirements, and rdbms' have traditionally wrestled with the
eternal problems of concurrency and consistency and are therefore
well suited to handle these issues.

I'm not sure sql is the place to handle application logic as a rule
though. I would tend to put as much control as possible within the
database, but no more.

The old fashioned idea of three tier applications, database, logic
and presentation has much to commend it as a guide. Using each
layer as intended will maximise the utility and flexibility of the
entire application. All easier said than done, of course and it will
always come down to the developer's judgement.
Just mt opinion of course

Cheers

Paul Butler