Re: Select statement error !!!!

From: "Vutharkar Goutham" <goutham4u(at)hotmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Select statement error !!!!
Date: 2003-09-24 14:48:22
Lists: pgsql-docs

Hello,

I am sorry that this isn't the right group to putup the question but i am
desperate to get it right and moreover thats what the major hindrance to our
project. We are doing Intrusion Detection System as project to fulfill the
requirement of completion of Post Graduation in MSIT.

So we are using PostgreSQL as our database to store the captured data from a
LAN or from outside network. So in the mean process we successfully captured
the data packets and sent them into the database tables but the problem is
when we are are trying to retrieve data then we are failing and we dont know
how to proceed further. We searched all the forums for right answer but
didn't get to it so i was forced to post here. Now let me paste the code
here ....

#include<stdio.h>
#include<libpq-fe.h>

void exit_nicely(PGconn *conn)
{
PQfinish(conn);
exit(1);
}

int main()
{
char *pghost,*pgport,*pgoptions,*pgtty;
char *dbname;
char query[1024];
struct PQprintOpt *po;
int nFields;
int i,j;
FILE *fp;

fp = fopen("data.txt","w+");

strcpy(query,"select * from UDP_Table");
printf("\nInitial Query is : %s\n",query);
PGconn *conn;
PGresult *res;

pghost = NULL;
pgport = NULL;
pgoptions = NULL;
pgtty = NULL;
dbname = "Project";

conn = PQsetdb(pghost,pgport,pgoptions,pgtty,dbname);

if(PQstatus(conn) == CONNECTION_BAD)
{
fprintf(stderr,"Failed to make a connection.\n",dbname);
fprintf(stderr,"%s",PQerrorMessage(conn));
exit_nicely(conn);
}
else
printf("\nConnection established with backend.\n");

res = PQexec(conn,"BEGIN");

if(!res || PQresultStatus(res)!=PGRES_TUPLES_OK)
{
fprintf(stderr,"Begin Failed.\n");
PQclear(res);
exit_nicely(conn);
}
else
printf("\nBegin Transaction Completed Successfully.\n");

printf("\nQuery B4 execution is : %s\n",query);

res = PQexec(conn,query);

if(!res || PQresultStatus(res)!=PGRES_COMMAND_OK)
{
fprintf(stderr,"\nSelect Statement Failed.\n");
PQclear(res);
exit_nicely(conn);
}
else
{
printf("\nSelect statement executed successfully.\n");
PQprint(fp,res,(const struct PQprintOpt *)po);
}

// Print Attribute Names

printf("\nThe Attribute Names are \n\n");

nFields = PQnfields(res);

for(i = 0;i<nFields;i++)
printf("%-15s",PQfname(res,i));
printf("\n\n");

//Print out rows

printf("The Rows in the table are \n\n");

for(i = 0;i<PQntuples(res);i++)
{
for(i = 0;j<nFields;j++)
printf("%-15s",PQgetvalue(res,i,j));
printf("\n");
}

res = PQexec(conn,"COMMIT");

PQclear(res);

PQfinish(conn);

return 0;
}

I tried as told by you but still i failed. So please dont mind solving the
problem for me if i am not troubling you. Your help will be appreciated a
lot by our project team.

Thank You,

Goutham.V
MSIT.

Talk to Karthikeyan. Watch his stunning feats.
http://server1.msn.co.in/sp03/tataracing/index.asp Download images.