Re: [INTERFACES] C++ Builder (Delphi), ODBC and large objects

From: Sergio <ser(at)perio(dot)unlp(dot)edu(dot)ar>
To: pgsql-interfaces(at)hub(dot)org
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] C++ Builder (Delphi), ODBC and large objects
Date: 1998-10-22 18:45:59
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Byron Nikolaidis <byronn(at)insightdist(dot)com> el da Wed, 21 Oct 1998 17:53:13
-0400, escribi:

>Sergio wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> I have another problem with lo, I used the new Insight Odbc
>> driver and when I try to use the datapump utility of Borland
>> (Delphi) to migrate paradox tables, when it try to convert
>> memo fields to large objects it gave an error, wich NOT
>> happen with the previous version of the driver.
>> I resolved changing the type of the target field to
>> varchar.
>>

>I haven't had any success figuring out why Borland products can't write
>blobs. Maybe you could send me logfiles of the problems (both sql.log
>and psqlodbc.log).

I don't have the files with me right now, I will try tomorow.
But the strange thing is that it not happen with the previous driver.

>> Btw, any plans to support scrollable cursors and ODBC 3
>> from Insight ?
>
>I don't see any real need to support ODBC 3.0. This would be quite an
>involved project for very little gain as far as I can tell. The driver
>manager seems to do a good job of down converting the 3.0 calls to
>2.0. Is there something specific in 3.0 that you need or something?

Well, I have a couple of delphi componentes that talk directly
to the driver bypassing the BDE (because I hate to distribute the BDE),
and it say is for Odbc 3.
See the attachments, I've managed to convince the author to release
the source in the next version :)

>As for scrollable cursors, "static" scrollable cursors are already
>supported. If you want positioned update/delete, the driver can work
>with the odbc cursor library to achieve that. As for dynamic or keyset
>cursors, I had plans to implement a mixed keyset cursor (similar to what
>the Jet engine does), but time is a problem.

The same here, all the components (Odbc98, OdbcExpress) expect (or work
better with) scrollable cursors in the driver, but I guess I can live
with this.

Cheers,
Sergio Kessler

Attachment Content-Type Size
modbc2.zip application/x-zip-compressed 53.3 KB