Re: PostgreSQL BSDI BSD/OS port

From: "David J(dot) MacKenzie" <djm(at)web(dot)us(dot)uu(dot)net>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org, djm(at)web(dot)us(dot)uu(dot)net
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL BSDI BSD/OS port
Date: 2000-07-07 21:09:45
Lists: pgsql-ports

> I don't suggest complex solutions in FAQ's. If people want to do
> complex things on their end, they are welcome to do it.

Oh, it's not *that* complex! And it works for everyone, not just
people with simple installations. It's really The Right Way to do it,
IMHO.

> > I've sent mail to BSDI suggesting that they add the #ifdef, so perhaps
> > it will be there in BSD/OS 4.2.

Note that I am referring here to a #ifndef around SHMMAXPGS.
SYSPTSIZE already has an #ifndef as shipped, so my suggestion just
makes them more symmetrical.

> I thought 4.1 would automatically size SYSPTSIZE based on the shared memory
> configured. At least that is what BSDI support said. They said the
> SYSPTSIZE change would not be neeeed in 4.1. If you don't make the
> SYSPTSIZE too, does the kernel still boot with larger shared memory
> segments?

We've only got 4.1 up on a couple of test machines--we're still doing
everything important on 4.0.1 and at this point we're going to skip
4.1 and our next upgrade will be to 4.2 since that's in beta already.

In other words, I don't know :-(