Re: Clob or Blob in JDBC

From: Joachim Achtzehnter <joachim(at)kraut(dot)bc(dot)ca>
To: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Clob or Blob in JDBC
Date: 2000-07-18 00:16:09
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

On Mon, 17 Jul 2000, Matt Fair wrote:

> 1. How can I store a String into the database? (can be up to 4000
> characters, so I do not want to use varchar) I have been told that if
> I were to take that string and convert it into a byte[] that I could
> store it like that.

A BLOB can be stored using the setBytes() method of PreparedStatement, it
can be retrieved using the getBytes() method of ResultSet.

> 2. Do I have to manually set the OID number?

No, the setBytes() method will do this for you.

Note, that BLOB operations must be done inside a transaction. Do NOT use
the autocommit setting when manipulating BLOBS.

> 3. Is there a place on the internet where I can download the source for
> the most current jdbc?

The most current would be in CVS. Released versions of Postgresql
including the JDBC driver are available as compressed tar files. See
http://www.postgresql.org (click on Software) for the links.

Joachim