lower(varchar)

From: Maarten Boekhold <maartenb(at)dutepp0(dot)et(dot)tudelft(dot)nl>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: lower(varchar)
Date: 1998-08-13 09:28:21
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,

I just tried to create a functional index on a varchar column, which
failed, cos lower() is not defined on varchars. I guess it's only
supported for text columns (aren't they treated the same way internally?).

So, I figured, let's cast the varchar to a text type:

create index product_artit_idx2 on product (lower(artit::text) text_ops);
ERROR: parser: parse error at or near "::"

How can I do this? Isn't there a simple fix to some system table that
tells postgres that using lower() on varchar is OK?

Maarten

| TU Delft, The Netherlands, Faculty of Information Technology and Systems |
| Department of Electrical Engineering |
| Computer Architecture and Digital Technique section |
| M(dot)Boekhold(at)et(dot)tudelft(dot)nl |