Re: [GENERAL] Postgres CGI Security Problem

From: Maarten Boekhold <maartenb(at)dutepp2(dot)et(dot)tudelft(dot)nl>
To: Dustin Sallings <dustin(at)spy(dot)net>
Cc: "Shawn T(dot) Walker" <swalker(at)iac(dot)net>, Chris Hardie <chris(at)summersault(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Postgres CGI Security Problem
Date: 1998-08-10 07:21:42
Lists: pgsql-general
On Sun, 9 Aug 1998, Dustin Sallings wrote:

> > > Chris Hardie writes:
> > >  > In anycase, I'm using the Postgres.pm module with PERL, and it doesn't
> > >  > seem to support the passing of a username/password pair (correct me if
> > >  > I'm wrong) from a CGI script.  I'll attempt to code that, unless
> > >  > someone has done it already.
> >
> > Actually Pg.pm *does* allow you to connect with a username/password. If
> > you use the 'new-style' methods of Pg.pm, do $db->connect("dbname=..
> > user=.. password=..");. If you use the 'old-style' (like I do), use
> > PQconnectdb()  with the same arguments.
>
> 	He said Postgres.pm, not Pg.pm.  There are three modules (that I've
> used anyway) to do Postgres connectivity via perl:
>
> 	Pg.pm       (ugly, too C like for perl)
> 	Postgres.pm (very perl like)
> 	DBD::Pg     (best way to go, very similar to Postgres.pm)

Ah, I didn't know if any Postgres.pm, so I assumed he ment Pg.pm. I've
seen ppl making that mistake several times (saying Postgres.pm when they
ment Pg.pm).

Maarten

| TU Delft, The Netherlands, Faculty of Information Technology and Systems  |
|                   Department of Electrical Engineering                    |
|           Computer Architecture and Digital Technique section             |
|                          M(dot)Boekhold(at)et(dot)tudelft(dot)nl                         |