Re: [INTERFACES] Re: [HACKERS] User authentication bug?

From: Maarten Boekhold <maartenb(at)dutepp2(dot)et(dot)tudelft(dot)nl>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org, pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org, pgsql-patches(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] Re: [HACKERS] User authentication bug?
Date: 1998-08-03 06:40:03
Lists: pgsql-hackerspgsql-interfaces
On Sun, 2 Aug 1998, Tom Lane wrote:

> Maarten Boekhold <maartenb(at)dutepp0(dot)et(dot)tudelft(dot)nl> writes:
> > On Sat, 1 Aug 1998, Tom Lane wrote:
> >> It's possible that there are still bogus length limits on username
> >> or password in some of the other PostgreSQL user interfaces besides
> >> psql/libpq.  I will leave it to other folks to check that code.
>
> > I think the perl-module behaves the same, but I'm not totally sure about
> > it. I have a script where passing a 9 chars username to PQconnectdb()
> > fails to connect to a backend, while if I truncate the username to 8
> > chars it works.
>
> Hmm.  What pgsql version are you using?  A quick glance at
> src/interfaces/perl5 doesn't show any dependencies on username or
> password length in it --- it's just a very simple wrapper for libpq.

I've tried it (wrote a little script to test it), and I got the following:

length(usename) == 9 : connect with usename of 9 : failed
length(usename) == 9 : connect with usename of 8 : failed
length(usename) == 8 : connect with usename of 9 : failed
length(usename) == 8 : connect with usename of 8 : succeeded

so it appears not to be working somehow...

Maarten

| TU Delft, The Netherlands, Faculty of Information Technology and Systems  |
|                   Department of Electrical Engineering                    |
|           Computer Architecture and Digital Technique section             |
|                          M(dot)Boekhold(at)et(dot)tudelft(dot)nl                         |