Re: [HACKERS] PostgreSQL Backend as SW Gateway to Oracle

From: Maarten Boekhold <maartenb(at)dutepp2(dot)et(dot)tudelft(dot)nl>
To: "Thomas G(dot) Lockhart" <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
Cc: Armin Schloesser <armin(at)ap-kas(dot)ie(dot)philips(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] PostgreSQL Backend as SW Gateway to Oracle
Date: 1998-07-09 14:31:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, 9 Jul 1998, Thomas G. Lockhart wrote:

> > Nevertheless I would like to implement this Oracle Gateway using the
> > PostgeSQL stuff.
> > Cause using the Oracle OCI there has to be some preprocessing done to
> > parse the libpq SQL strings for binding input and output variables to.
> > So a simple SELECT call is not mappable to a single OCI call.
> > If there are also other guys outside interested in this approach, it
> > would be perhaps worth to discuss also their requirements to get a
> > proper functional spec to implement the SW gateway.
>
> I don't have a particular interest in the Oracle gw, but am interested
> in getting simultaneous multiple db access within Postgres. I had been
> thinking of trying to implement this as a Postgres "master database"
> with hooks deeper in the backend to call out to a remote database as a
> separate session. Sort of like Ingres implemented their distributed
> databases. Haven't done anything with it though...

Cewl... wouldn't this enable us to run PostgreSQL on beowolf-like
clusters? :) (for those of you unknown to them, see
http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/beowulf/consortium/consortium.html, this one
is also very nice :) http://cnls.lanl.gov/avalon/ ).

Maarten

| TU Delft, The Netherlands, Faculty of Information Technology and Systems |
| Department of Electrical Engineering |
| Computer Architecture and Digital Technique section |
| M(dot)Boekhold(at)et(dot)tudelft(dot)nl |