Re: [GENERAL] Re: [HACKERS] NEW POSTGRESQL LOGOS

From: Maarten Boekhold <maartenb(at)dutepp0(dot)et(dot)tudelft(dot)nl>
To: "Matthew N(dot) Dodd" <winter(at)jurai(dot)net>
Cc: David Gould <dg(at)illustra(dot)com>, The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>, mcglk(at)serv(dot)net, pgsql-general(at)postgreSQL(dot)org, pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Re: [HACKERS] NEW POSTGRESQL LOGOS
Date: 1998-06-05 08:36:26
Lists: pgsql-generalpgsql-hackers
On Thu, 4 Jun 1998, Matthew N. Dodd wrote:

> On Thu, 4 Jun 1998, David Gould wrote:
> > Excuse? I think glibc is intended to be standard everywhere. As far as I
> > know, it has nothing to do with Linux other than Linux (as usual) is
> > faster to adopt it than some of the "legacy systems".
>
> 'standard' in what sense?
>
> In the sense that Linux uses it you are correct.
>
> I don't expect NetBSD, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, BSDI, Solaris, Digital Unix, AIX,
> HPUX, SCO/Unixware etc to use it.
>
> In that sense Linux is still doing things its own way, breaking things for
> no aparent reason.

Actually, some year ago a group started up, I think they're called the
x86open group, that is working to making a standard c-library interface
for x86 based UNIX's. In that group, Linux, BSD *and* SCO and some other
commercial entities are represented. The plan is to use glibc 2 as a base.

Maarten

| TU Delft, The Netherlands, Faculty of Information Technology and Systems  |
|                   Department of Electrical Engineering                    |
|           Computer Architecture and Digital Technique section             |
|                          M(dot)Boekhold(at)et(dot)tudelft(dot)nl                         |