Re: [HACKERS] Timezone problems / HAVE_INT_TIMEZINE

From: Maarten Boekhold <maartenb(at)dutepp2(dot)et(dot)tudelft(dot)nl>
To: Dwayne Bailey <dwayne(at)mika(dot)com>
Cc: "Thomas G(dot) Lockhart" <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>, "Pedro J(dot) Lobo" <pjlobo(at)euitt(dot)upm(dot)es>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Timezone problems / HAVE_INT_TIMEZINE
Date: 1998-03-19 15:10:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers
> However, what I also discovered in that these values are not set
> until after the tzset() routine is called.  Is that normal
> behavior?  Doing a grep for tzset in the PG sources revealed
> that it's only called for a few SQL commands.  Is it called
> anywhere as part of startup processing, and I'm just missing it?
> Or is the DEC implementation the only one that requires an
> explicit tzset() call before the use of these variables?

AFAIK tzset() is called automagically by all time-related libc routines
when they detect it is not set yet (at least I think with Linux it is
done this way. It's been a long time since I looked at that).

Maarten

| TU Delft, The Netherlands, Faculty of Information Technology and Systems  |
|                   Department of Electrical Engineering                    |
|           Computer Architecture and Digital Technique section             |
|                          M(dot)Boekhold(at)et(dot)tudelft(dot)nl                         |