Openbase makes false claims about postgresql

From: Karim A Nassar <Karim(dot)Nassar(at)NAU(dot)EDU>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Openbase makes false claims about postgresql
Date: 2005-08-24 08:43:25
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

I don't know if this matters to anyone, or if this is even the right list
for this, but while doing some research on acid compliance, I
found this:

http://store.openbase.com/ChoosingTheRightDB.pdf

...which is dated 2004, is currently available, and states on page 2:

"PostgreSQL also offers fairly good A.C.I.D. compliance, although their
documentation warns that their write-ahead logs are not 100% reliable."

Page 4:

"PostgreSQL has recently added a write-ahead log to address their
reliability problems. It operates on the same principle as a journal,
except that the log is written before SQL is evaluated, rather than as the
transaction commits. While this provides better reliability for PostgreSQL
users, PostgreSQL documentation warns that there are still known problems
with their write-ahead logging system, which could cause data loss. The
answer? Many people offering PostgreSQL also sell database consulting
services."

Then on page 6:

"PostgreSQL also provides reasonable transaction support, although, as
noted, they do warn of problems with the reliability of their write-ahead
journal."

V7.1 was released 2001. Four years later after being addressed, (a long
time IMHO), they are making these claims.

Page 11:

"PostgreSQL does not have a database clustering option."

...built in.

I realize that this is some company's marketing drivel, but I also thought
someone might like to complain in an official capacity.

PS: I am off-list, so please CC :-)

--
karim(dot)nassar(at)acm(dot)org