Re: WebDB Developers Wanted

From: Chadwick Rolfs <cmr(at)shell(dot)gis(dot)net>
To: Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: pgsql-php(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: WebDB Developers Wanted
Date: 2002-09-16 15:23:00
Lists: pgsql-hackerspgsql-php
Hey, Chris,

  Thanks for the info.  It's Fort-Knox worth of knowledge for me!
Two things:

1)  I can't find the WebDB module... do you mean WebPG?  Could you post
the link to that, if it isn't:

2)  I'm no expert, and want to help.  I _/use/_ php and postgresql.  I do
very simple coding.  Are bug reports enough from me?

On Mon, 16 Sep 2002, Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
>
> The phpPgAdmin project is currently getting stuck into the development of
> the next-generation web admin software for Postgres.  We are rewriting from
> scratch to remove the old, crufty phpMyAdmin coding style.  We are also
> suffering from a lack of active developers.  Those of you currently using
> phpPgAdmin will not be able to use it with Postgres 7.3 - we'll have to
> finish WebDB first!  We can do it faster, and with the features you want if
> you help us!
>
> Currently, WebDB is getting towards the 'usable' stage, so it's not like
> you'd have to work with bare-bones code.
>
> Aims:
>
> * Nice OO model - no SQL in the interface scripts and supporting different
> versions of Postgres is trivial.
> * Old phpPgAdmin codebase is too hard to make 7.3 compliant
> * Works with register_globals off
> * ALL strings escaped, quoted, etc properly
> * Database independent.  Althought currently Postgres oriented, it is
> designed in such a way that the same app can admin MySQL, Oracle, or
> whatever - simultaneously.
> * All fonts, colours and images done with stylesheets and themes
> * Easy to read coding style, everything commented
> * Max error reporting
> * Security conscious
>
> You can find us on SourceForge here:
>
> http://phppgadmin.sourceforge.net/?page=project
>
> If you want to get into developing this new version, please checkout the
> 'webdb' module, NOT the old phppgadmin module.
>
> Developers mailing list: phppgadmin-devel(at)lists(dot)sourceforge(dot)net
>
> Regards,
>
> Chris

-Chadwick