Re: [INTERFACES] PGAccess Question

From: Sebastian Meyer <meyer(at)mevis(dot)de>
To: PostgreSQL Interfaces <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Cc: llestat(at)ibm(dot)net
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] PGAccess Question
Date: 1998-11-10 16:25:01
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

On Tue, 10 Nov 1998, Tom Lane wrote:

> Richard Reyes <llestat(at)ibm(dot)net> writes:
> > Can I run PGAccess in windows or is it using the libpqtcl library in linux.
>
> PGAccess depends on the libpgtcl library.
> [...]
> There is also a pure-Tcl client-side library available at the PGAccess
> site, IIRC. It's somewhat slower than libpgtcl/libpq but should run
> almost anywhere. I don't know how closely it duplicates the
> functionality of libpgtcl ... close enough for PGAccess, presumably.

We use this "pure-Tcl client-side library" (pgsql.tcl, availiable on
Constantin's ftp site ftp://ftp.flex.ro/pub/pgaccess) to run Postgres apps
unmodified on Unix and Macs and really love it!

The only drawbacks are the missing support for large objects and for
crypted authentication. If you don't need these features (or feel you
could improve pgsql.tcl here) you might go this way.

sebastian
--
__o Sebastian Meyer Tel: (0421)218-7702 | "Everything should be
_ \<,_ meyer(at)mevis(dot)de http://www.mevis.de | made as simple as possible,