RE: [GENERAL] Benchmarks

From: Dustin Sallings <dustin(at)spy(dot)net>
To: "Culberson, Philip" <philip(dot)culberson(at)dat(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)hub(dot)org
Subject: RE: [GENERAL] Benchmarks
Date: 2000-01-07 02:42:12
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-general

On Thu, 6 Jan 2000, Culberson, Philip wrote:

This is a considerable amount faster. I never thought about the
indices getting hit here. Thanks a lot.

# In his very insightful post last week, Mike Mascari pointed out that, on
# tables with heavy insert/updates, it was much faster to drop the index,
# vacuum analyze, and then rebuild the index. Maybe in vacuum there is a
# specific inefficiency in what Mike coined "defragment"ing indexes.
#
# [Snip]
#
# 8. Not running VACUUM - PostgreSQL won't use indexes, or won't optimize
# correctly unless the record count and dispersion estimates are up-to-date.
# People have reported problems with running vacuum while under heavy load. We
# haven't seen it, but we run vacuum each night at 4:05 a.m. However, if you
# perform a LARGE number of INSERTS/UPDATES, it is better for you to do the
# following:
#
# DROP INDEX index_on_heavilty_used_table;
# VACUUM ANALYZE;
# CREATE INDEX index_on_heavily_used_table;
#
# Because VACUUM will sit there, and, row by row, essentially "defragment"
# your indexes, which can take damn near forever for any number of updates or
# deletes greater than, say, 30,000 rows.
#
# [Snip]
#