Re: Cleaning up unreferenced table files

From: Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Cleaning up unreferenced table files
Date: 2005-04-27 13:45:14
Lists: pgsql-patches

On Tue, 26 Apr 2005, Tom Lane wrote:

> Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi> writes:
>> I feel that crashes that leaves behind stale files are rare.
>
> Indeed, and getting more so all the time ...

How so? Have changes been made in those parts of the code?

> which makes me question the value of doing anything about this at all.

What bothers me is that we currently have no means of knowing if it
happens and how often it happens, so we're just guessing that "it's
rare". How rare? We don't know.

If nobody ever runs into this issue in production, and this whole exercise
turns out to be completely unnecessary, at least we'll know. That alone
makes me feel better.

The only drawback of the patch that I can see is the performance impact on
recovery. And I think the time it takes to scan the data directories isn't
much compared to WAL replay.

- Heikki